Taranaki, North Island: 3 Day On The Trail Horsemanship Clinic
3 Day On The Trail Horsemanship Clinic – Suits Ridden Horses (not green broke)
To Book: Please fill out form below, a non-refundable deposit is due at time of booking.
On The Trail Clinic Format: This is a unique clinic, as rather than being based in an arena, it will be based out ‘on the trail’ on a stunning Taranaki beef & sheep farm with diverse terrain for us to ride over. You will be working with your horse on a variety of practical, real life situations using horsemanship principles and foundational communication. We will be addressing common situations people face while on the trail trekking out and working as a group to help individual horses and riders navigate problems with feel, respect, trust and encouragement.
Date: Fri 5 – Sun 7, Jan, 2024
Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm
Where: Kohete Rd, Inglewood, Taranaki, New Zealand
Cost: US$390 (approx. NZ$650) per participant (for all 3 days) + arena/farm fee
Arena/Farm Fee: US$30 (approx. $NZ50) (for all 3 days)
Spectators: No spectators for this clinic, as its based out on the trail
Free Overnight: Free camping overnight, flush toilet available. Please bring all hay/feed, tape/standards and water bucket for horses.
**Please Note: Participants strictly limited to 10. Age minimum for participants is 16yrs and up. Prices on booking form are charged in US$ at current exchange rate. Spaces in the Clinic are run on a first-in first-served basis, with your spot confirmed by a non-refundable deposit, due at time of booking. If for some reason you have paid the non-refundable deposit, but are unable to make the clinic, you will only be refunded the deposit if you are able to find a rider to replace your spot or if the clinic is full and there is a waiting list with someone who would like to take your spot. If the clinic does not meet our minimum numbers and we have to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
The emphasis in all Clinics is always on learning to communicate more effectively through “feel”, timing, and balance, building a working relationship based on respect and trust between horse & rider. All Clinics are flexible based on participant’s skill/experience levels.
Some time during the mornings may be spent in the arena on the ground doing foundational ground work followed by transferring those lessons learnt to the ridden work out on the trail.
Subjects covered may include (but are not limited to)
• Discussing the feet/mind/leadership connection and other foundational Horsemanship principles
• Learning how to be safer around your horse and develop a great partnership
• Understanding why you need to be the leader and how to become the leader
• Understanding the relationship of pressure, release, and timing
• Foundational Groundwork and how it prepares the horse for real life experiences
• Training and learning to “feel” and read the 4 areas of the horse both on the ground and under saddle – Head and Neck, Shoulders, Ribcage and Hindquarters
• Opening gates while mounted
• Working as a team in helping riders that may have ‘position problems’ (horse wanting to lead/follow and not settled)
• Building confidence riding outside
• Practical skills to address various situations that may be encountered (bogs, river crossings, steep terrain, animals etc)
• Different terrain, hills, water crossing, wildlife encounters, farm machinery, bush and more may be encountered